Complimentary Medicine to Enhance Fertility Potential
Infertility treatment has been associated with high levels of stress for many patients. Recent scientific research continues to support the concept that a patient’s state of mind and stress level has an impact on their health. For this reason, there is growing realization that complementary medicine therapies including: acupuncture, yoga, nutrition and massage therapy, can improve an individual’s overall feelings of wellbeing and may even increase the chances for pregnancy when used in conjunction with conventional medical treatments.
Acupuncture can be used to treat any type of infertility disorder. Acupuncture is often combined with herbs, obtained from traditional Chinese medicine, to treat elevations in follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), recurrent miscarriages, unexplained infertility, luteal phase defect, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and male factor infertility. In fact, there is a growing wealth of knowledge supporting the use of acupuncture during in vitro fertilization treatment, ultimately resulting in better success rates, fewer miscarriages and higher birth rates.
The potential fertility boosting effects may be attributed to:
- increased endorphin production which has been associated to effect gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH);
- regulation in the production of reproductive hormones, such as FSH, LH, estradiol and progesterone;
- increased blood flow to the uterus allowing proper endometrial growth, allowing successful implantation to take place;
- lower levels of stress hormones (cortisol/insulin);
- restoration of hormonal balances in women with PCOS.
For this reason, RMI has also partnered with a few practitioners in our local community who are experts on complementary medicine therapies.